Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never Forget 9/11 or our Soldiers


On this, the 7th anniversary of the cowardly Islamo-facist attacks on the WTC, I thought I would do a post in honor of those who died in the attack, and to our troops who have been forced to fight an uncostitutional war.

Oh how do you do, young Willy McBride
Do you mind if I sit here down by your graveside
And rest for a while in the warm summer sun
I've been walking all day, and I'm nearly done



And I see by your gravestone you were only nineteen
When you joined the great falling in 1916
Well I hope you died quick
And I hope you died clean or Willy McBride,
was is it a slow and sad scene?

Did they beat the drums slowly
Did they play the fife lowly
Did they sound the death march as they lowered you down
Did the band play the last post and chorus
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest



And did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind
In some loyal heart is your memory enshrined
And though you died back in 1916
To that loyal heart you're forever nineteen

Or are you a stranger without even a name,
Forever enshrined behind some old glass pane
In an old photograph torn, tattered, and stained
And faded to yellow in a brown leather fame

Did they beat the drums slowly
Did they play the fife lowly
Did they sound the death march as they lowered you down
Did the band play the last post and chorus
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest


The sun shining down on these green fields of France
The warm wind blows gently and the red poppies dance
The trenches have vanished long under the plow
No gas, no barbed wire, no guns firing now

But here in this graveyard that's still no mans land
The countless white crosses in mute witness stand
To man's blind indifference to his fellow man
And a whole generation who were butchered like lambs

Did they beat the drums slowly
Did they play the fife lowly
Did they sound the death march as they lowered you down
Did the band play the last post and chorus
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

And I can't help but wonder oh Willy McBride
Do all those who lie here know why they died
Did you really believe them when they told you the cause
Did you really believe that this war would end wars

Well the suffering, the sorrow, the glory, the shame
The killing and dying was it all done in vain?
For Willy McBride, it all happened again
And again, and again, and again, and again

Did they beat the drums slowly
Did they play the fife lowly
Did they sound the death march as they lowered you down
Did the band play the last post and chorus
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest?

7 comments:

Stephen Boyd said...

Ooh! I so much enjoy your posts with the Irish lyrics! I've never heard this one before, what's it called?

Great Job!

Mike said...

Thanks Stephen!

It's called "The Green Fields of France", Mr. Charlie Zahm actually sings it on his cd Festival Favorites.

God Bless,
~Mike

Son3 said...

Great tribute, Mike!
(Great lyrics too!) ;)

To what degree are you Irish?
I'm one quarter...it shows.

Mike said...

Thanks Son3!

I think I'm about one 4th or 6th Norman-Irish (thus the strange name), I know I'm also about a quarter Welsh, a 6th Scottish (MacDonald of the Isles) and the rest is Swiss, German and some Roundhead.

The Powers name used to be Le Poher, meaning that my family came from the Poher region of Brittany, they then went a-conquering with William and Strongbow, before settling in Waterford Ireland.

The Powers that are still in Ireland are now (for the most part) very rich, they own one of the most popular whiskey
distilleries in Ireland.

Powerscourt Manor has been featured in a few movies including The Count of Monte Cristo.

Wow, sorry about ranting, I'm known for doing it when asked about my heritage :), maybe I'll just do a blog post further explaining my lineage.

God Bless,
~Mike

Son3 said...

Wow, you've quite the ancestry!

Yes, do the post; I look forward to it!

Stephen Boyd said...

Your ancestors lived in Brittany? So did some of mine! The hereditary stewards of the house of Dol, the Fitzflaads and the FitzAlans.

Mike said...

Son3: Thanks, I'll get to working on it!

Stephen: That's neat! I have an Uncle who's a FitzPatrick.

-Mike