Thursday, May 15, 2008

RE:Sabar na tovon

This is a respose to this blog-post.

Mr. Ferril, I appreciate the comment and blog-post, please enjoy your stay on my blog and please forgive my poor Sindarin punctuation :).

Your post bears much resemblance to a article I read on Mr. R.C. Sproul's website written by a friend of my family Mr. Ken Griffith (which can be found here), so I am familiar with this line of thinking.

The problem with this line of thought is the same problem I come up against when explaining why Harry Potter is evil, it's the idea that there can be good magic (there is not) , the fact that this is in a alternate universe cannot justify good magic.

Magic is always, always, always, (do I make my point?) BAD, the Power of the LORD is not magic, nor should it ever be portrayed as such, wizards cannot be angelic beings and angelic beings can only do the will of the LORD anyway.

I was deeply into the Tolkien series for a looooong time (about 4 years) I read most of the books including the Silmarillion, and I understand perfectly what you are trying to say, many people have tried to make the LOTR series into some sort of allegory, especially my fellow homeschoolers, but if you're a Protestant this isn't going to work with your worldview because Tolkien was a Catholic (I'm not even sure that it would work with a Catholics worldview either).

Please don't think I'm against the fantasy genre, I myself am very interested in it and I'm currently writing a series of stories in the fantasy genre, so I don't have a problem with fantasy but with this fantasy and others like it.

I know you probably think me ignorant in this "allegory" but even Tolkien chose to call the Istari Wizards (who cast multiple spells), if he had chosen to make them wise men sent from Eru then I would not have a such a big problem with this, but still as I have said before, Angels can only do the bidding of the LORD, ones who have disobeyed have been cast out.

And the last point,Tolkien himself said that the LOTR was not an allegory, I think this pretty much nullifies any arguments to the contrary.

As I have said before, thanks for the comment and Post,I really enjoyed your blog .

God Bless,

~Mike

13 comments:

Stephen Boyd said...

Excellent work, gentlemen! I have enjoyed reading both of your well researched articles.

BTW, are you homeschooled, Mike?

Mike said...

Thanks Stephen!
I have greatly enjoyed this debate as well.

Yes I am homeschooled, my Parents pulled me out of the gulag when I was 5 and I've been Blessed to have received 12 years of my education from my Parents.

God Bless Ya'll!

~Mike

Stephen Boyd said...

HOORAH!!

Stephen Boyd said...

BTW, I saw that awesome video of you shooting the Barret M107. How did that work out? Are they going to have another one? I have been unable to find anything about that online.

Mike said...

Thanks, it went purdy well.
It had alot of kick to it but my shoulder has felt worse after a day of trap shooting.

The only publicity that Fort Benning seems to use when it comes to Live Fires is word of mouth,
I found out from my Scoutleader (who is a Vietnam vet and served proudly in the 101st airborne).

He usually sends an email out about two or three weeks before a live fire, so next time I get one I'll do a blog post about it to let Ya'll know, It would be neat to have ya'll come out and go shooting with us :).

God Bless,

~Mike

PS, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I was out on the road.

Stephen Boyd said...

Quite alright. I have a passion for guns and we jump at any chance we get to "exercise the monkeys".

Stephen Boyd said...

Did you see in the news where "Gollum" was rushed to the hospital?

Mike said...

Yes, I noticed that.
It makes you wonder if there is a "Kennedy Curse".

God Bless!

~Mike

mcferrill said...

Thanks for reading my blog!

It looks like my comment got cut again. Let me try again.

Once again my response grew to be too long for a comment. I must crave your indulgence to visit my blog again (if you haven't already) and see it. I've really enjoyed your blog and accordingly linked back to you from mine. I hope you'll continue our conversation.

Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Magic is always, always, always, (do I make my point?) BAD, the Power of the LORD is not magic, nor should it ever be portrayed as such, wizards cannot be angelic beings and angelic beings can only do the will of the LORD anyway.

EXCELLENT. My commendations to you my friend, I agree wholeheartedly. Nice to find a like-minded warrior.

Spencer

Mike said...

Thanks Spencer!
"Professional compliments are always appreciated!"

LOL,

God Bless!

~Mike

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

So are you saying LOTR is bad, or are you saying it should be read with discretion?

Mike said...

I think the LOTR should not be hailed as a great literary work of art.

It's a very engrossing series, so if one decided to read it, it should be read with caution.

~Mike