Friday, January 18, 2008

Songs of the Sea part 1

The Diamond is a ship, my lads, For the Davis Strait she's bound, The quay's they are all garnished with bonnie lasses 'round.

Captain Thompson gives the order, To sail the ocean wide, Where the sun it never sets me lad, nor darkness stems the tide.


And it's cheer up me lads, Let your hearts never fail, While the bonnie ship the Diamond goes a fishin for a whale.


Along the quay at Peterhead, The lasses stand aroon, Wi' their shawls all pulled a'boot them, And the sault tears runnin' doon.

Oh, don't you weep, my bonnie lass, Though you are left behind, For the rose will grow on Greenland's ice Before we change our mind.

And it's cheer up me lads, Let your hearts never fail, While the bonnie ship the Diamond goes a fishin for a whale.


Here's a health to the Resolution, Likewise the Eliza Swan, Here's a health to the Battler of Montrose, And the Diamond, ship of fame.

We wear the trousers o' the white, and the jackets o' the blue, When we return to Peterhead, We'll hae sweethearts enou'.

And it's cheer up me lads, Let your hearts never fail, While the bonnie ship the Diamond goes a fishin for a whale.


It will be bright both day and night, When the Greenland lads come hame, With a ship that's full of oil, me lads, And money to our name.

We'll make the cradles for to rock, And the blankets for to tear, And every lass in Peterhead sing"Hushabye, me dear".

And it's cheer up me lads, Let your hearts never fail, While the bonnie ship the Diamond goes a fishin for a whale.

4 comments:

Son of Scotland said...

I love this song. Espicially Charlie Zham's version.

JL

Mike said...

Hi JL!

I absolutely agree, his version is bodacious!

~Mike.

Anonymous said...

Listening to this song is the only thing I do now. Thanks Mike!

Mike said...

No Problemo!